Wednesday 9 July 2014

Learning French

I spent the month of June in Lausanne learning French. There were moments when I really thought, ‘this is one of the hardest things I have ever done!’ and then other moments when I was overwhelmed by the beauty of things I was experiencing.
Why French? For the most part, Mercy Ships works in Francophone countries in West Africa. The working language on board our ship is English, but for training doctors and nurses on the land we must work in French. One can use an interpreter but to make lasting relationships you need to connect with people and that requires communication. I know communication is more than simply the spoken word, it is also actions, for example, the words we ‘say’ with our smile or our touch. But words do bring extra depth. They permit sharing thoughts and feelings, emotions, all the things we treasure in a relationship. And without them, there is only so far a relationship can go.

In a teaching context, I can teach knowledge and skills using an interpreter, and attitude can be modelled. But if I (or you) reflect back on the people who have influenced us most in our professional or personal lives, it isn’t just the academic things you remember people for. Often it is because someone took a personal interest in you, and somehow helped you discover more about yourself and released you to fulfil your potential. It is personal, and that is why I want to learn French. To give to the people we train, something more than just academic knowledge, to get to know them as people and encourage them to reach higher than they dreamed before.

Why Lausanne? Simply because Mercy Ships has an office here and I have friends here. What a good decision that was – I had no idea how much I would need a good friend beside me. I was told recently that I talk a lot….I wasn’t aware that I did….but now I know it is true! When I arrived here and couldn’t speak, it felt like I was suddenly muted. When you can’t speak, you can’t express yourself. Normally I love meeting new people and enjoy finding out who they are or discussing things in a work context. But that was impossible. And it felt so un-natural not to say anything. There are those people who will go out for an evening with friends and not really say anything…..I am not one of them…..but I became one of them…and it felt awkward. Also, I am not a natural linguist. I found scientific things much easier at school, and I am also a little bit tone deaf. So, if I hear a music note, I can’t reproduce it. That makes it a bit tricky learning a new language. The French sounds ‘en’, ‘on’ and ‘an’ are not easy for me to hear the difference, let alone reproduce it when I speak, neither are the verb endings –é and –ais. Some of you reading this will be laughing….but it is true. I have really found this difficult.

I was in language school from 8.30 – 14.30 and would come home and do 2-3 hours of homework and practice. In many ways I worked harder than I did for some of my medical exams. But I absolutely loved it, although there were days when I found myself in tears. The feeling of being mute, and incapable of expressing myself was humbling. Every single day I was out of my comfort zone, and I didn’t want just to resort to speaking English, which would have been so easy here, as everybody speaks English! I set my standards high and gave myself little challenges like getting my haircut and speaking to the hair dresser in French ! And gradually despite the tears, I could see my progress. I was actually surprised how quickly my oral and written comprehension improved. Speaking though was, and still is slow…..the brain has to think so much quicker when you speak! Especially someone like me who likes to speak! 


I have been very lucky to be living with a friend, during the 4 weeks at language school. Sophie is from Lausanne, and we worked together on the ship for almost a year. She has been (and still is) a faithful and committed friend. She was generous with her time, driving me all the way into the city centre for my first day at school, and then helping me find my way around the city to various other meetings for Mercy Ships. She was patient with me, speaking French slowly at home most evenings, but still allowing me to speak in English when I was tired or frustrated! She graciously included me in most of her social activities with her friends and family and church. There I heard French spoken continuously and everyone was extremely welcoming. I also enjoyed meeting with the staff in the Swiss Mercy Ships office and I think they valued being able to meet a doctor from the ship. Several of Sophie’s family would also often correct my poor grammar in a way that was kind, helpful and not destructive. We did many fun things on the weekend such as climbing mountains; going to the Carabana Music Festival & Montreux Jazz Festival, eating fondue, drinking rose, celebrating Philippe and Francoise’s 40th wedding anniversary, watching French movies and the World Cup. More than all I could ask or imagine. Good memories of beautiful experiences adding immeasurable value to the language learning.

So after 4 weeks I have learnt some French, and have acquired the necessary tools to help me with the next steps of increasing my fluidity in speaking and expanding my vocabulary. And instead of just ‘gritting my teeth’ and surviving, I have many precious memories of time with a friend and her family. 


After the rain, when there is sun, a rainbow appears. After my tears, there was joy, and then heaven appeared. I think that this month, I found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. 

1 comment:

  1. Bravo Michelle ! I wish you all good success. I thought you might be interested to know I have just printed out an application form for Mercy Ships. I'm looking at it ! I am hoping my husband will catch the spark. hummmm .... perhaps there won't be much opportunity for us older folk but somehow, volunteering on the Mercy sounds a whole lot better than golfing & swimming in Florida !! hahaha I like to believe it's the 'hand of God'. Wishing you lots more blessings as you continue on your journey! edie

    ReplyDelete